This original recipe was from a good friend and super foodie Shelley who made this for me one supper and I loved it! I have made a few tweaks and also made it “two way”.
This is a great Sunday Soup to prepare for lunches for the week.
2 WAY MINESTRONE SOUP
(makes 4-5 portions)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 leek (chopped roughly)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50g chopped chorizo
- 1.5 pints vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Sweat the celery, garlic, onion and leeks in the olive oil.
- Add the carrots, pepper and chorizo and stir.
- Top up with the stock, tomato puree and the tin of tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper and the soy sauce to taste.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Separate the soup into 2 pans.
- Pan 1 – drain the veg so you just have the liquid, then add half the veg ingredients back in. Put the remaining veg into a bowl and retain for pan 2
- Pan 2 – Liquidize the contents to a smooth consistency. Add some stock if it is a little too thick. Add the remaining veg from Pan 1 back in.
- Serve or stick it in the fridge or freezer.
Ta-daaa. Two soups from one – that actually do taste quite different.
Optional: Add some butter beans or mini pasta when you put the wet ingredients in.